Monday, January 28

He Laughs; They Did Too

I'm not ashamed to admit it. There are few things more endearing than a laughing baby. It can make even the worst day a little brighter. For one couple, however, a laughing baby meant much more than a few smiles. It was a daily reminder.

Almost 25 years had passed since Abraham was first promised a child, but finally, God made good on His promise. A son would be born within one year.

The boy's name: Isaac. It means "Laughter."

God himself picked it out. The name wasn't without meaning. Both Isaac's parents laughed when they heard of the child to be born.

"Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, 'Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?'" (Gen. 17:17)

"So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, 'After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?'" (Gen. 18:12)

Their responses sound the same, but commentators like Wesley and Henry agree that Abraham's laugh was of delight and celebration. Sarah's, from the text, was of doubt and disdain. What a contrast.

After Isaac's birth, Sarah has a heart change and invites others to share in her joy. Still, the challenge to me is clear. When God makes a promise, I can either trust that He will fulfill it or I can doubt that He will remain faithful. Whichever I choose, I may just end up with a constant reminder of my response with a baby called "Laughter."

I love the way God works.


Thanks to Peggy Kiefert Krouse for her artistic inspiration.

No comments: