Wednesday, January 30

As For Me and My House: We May Fail

I've seen it everywhere: on doormats and door knockers, on wall hangings and cross-stitches, etched on figurines and scrawled across archways. They have become perhaps the most famous words of Joshua. "As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."



It makes sense. Joshua speaks these striking words at the end of his life. But they are not, in my opinion, even the most striking words in Joshua 24.

Soon after Joshua's statement, all the people of Israel say the same words back to him: "We too will serve the LORD."

Joshua replies, "You are not able to serve the LORD. He is a holy God; he is a jealous God. He will not forgive your rebellion and your sins."

Chilling. No one puts that statement on their doormat.

I wondered why Joshua says this. Surely he isn't trying to discourage them from serving the LORD or saying that God will reject his people, is he? I turned to scholars for help. John Calvin, 16th century theologian, provides an excellent commentary. He writes:

"[Joshua] tells them that they cannot serve the Lord, as if he were actually desirous of set purpose to impel them to shake off the yoke. But there is no doubt that his tongue was guided by the inspiration of the Spirit, in stirring up and disclosing their feelings. For when the Lord brings men under his authority, they are usually willing enough to profess zeal for piety, though they instantly fall away from it. Thus they build without a foundation. This happens because they neither distrust their own weakness so much as they ought, nor consider how difficult it is to bind themselves wholly to the Lord. There is need, therefore, of serious examination, lest we be carried aloft by some giddy movement, and so fail of success in our very first attempts....

"In short, Joshua does not deter them from serving God, but only explains how refractory and disobedient they are, in order that they may learn to change their temper."

Joshua was right. Shortly after Israel's emphatic insistence of their own faithfulness, they turn away. How fickle they are (and I am) and quick to change tune in arrogance.

I enjoy those pretty wall hangings, but I won't display one lightly. I think they're great, but I also know this: As for me and my house, we will recognize our own arrogance and failings to be faithful and lean on the faithfulness of the Lord (2 Timothy 2:13). We will sing the words of hymn writer Edward Mote:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.


No comments: