Friday, January 25

Careful Which Peg To Use

I was reading this morning in Isaiah, and I can't get a certain section out of my mind. Isaiah is talking about Eliakim, who is about to replace the governor of the palace, Shebna, who is removed from office because of his pride.

Isaiah refers to both these men as "pegs" driven in the wall. Shebna is cut down in preparation for the coming of Eliakim. The words right after is the part that struck me: "[Shebna] will be sheared off and will fall, and the load hanging on it will be cut down."

I realized that I have so many things in life hanging on the wrong pegs (my intellect, my relationships, my computer even!), and in an instant, any of those pegs could be cut down along with load hanging on them. Without a completely secure peg, everything hangs in the balance. Only One peg in all of history has ever been completely secure, and it's on Him that I want my life to hang.

No comments: